So, we are now on our sixth snow day and I've come out alive. Thought I'd share how I survived:
1. Don't try to do anything. When I get that call, my immediate reaction is to start planning some house projects, like cleaning closets or finally filing the bills that I've been staring at for months. And then, just when I sit down to do this said chore, reality hits: everyone is fighting, everyone is bored, everyone just wants to watch one more show. Naturally. I've learned having zero plans means zero expectations thus zero let down.
2. Pinterest. Gather some ideas, nothing elaborate. Simple, fun activities that are not overwhelming and are realistic. If your kids are old enough, have them look up some activities, but for the love of crafty gods and your patience, give them some parameters or you will be bedazzling their shoelaces.
3. Embrace the liquid lunch. Of course, don't overdo it, but indulge in a bloody mary with lunch or a glass of bubbly with your leftover grilled cheese crusts. Embrace your inner Betty or Don Draper.
4. Kick 'em out! Assuming it is safe, kick those little monsters outside. Just give yourself three hours for the tantrums and hassle of dressing them in their snow gear.
5. Indulge in something, preferably with chocolate. I'm quite certain my kids will remember snow days filled with hot cocoa and amazement at how many chocolate chip cookies their mother can put down.
6.Put on some music and let go. Dance your stir crazy away, maybe after your liquid lunch?! Let go of your expectations and enjoy the few moments in life when you are all stuck inside together. Have a movie marathon (a.k.a Mum's cat nap time), stay in your pajamas, and drink hot cocoa.
Yes, winter blows. Yes, I'm an optimist. Yes, I nearly lost my mind yesterday when I felt like a short order cook, maid, personal snow suit dresser, and snow shoveler, but at the end of the day when my shoulders and legs ached, my heart was full. In all seasons of our life, this one is when we needed these snow days to hunker down together. Now, pass me that bubbly because today I'm home AGAIN with a snotty monster.